- About Us
- New Parents
- How to Help
THE HISTORY OF SAINT ANDREW SCHOOL
In August 1927, at the request of Father John T. Brady, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, agreed to staff Saint Andrew School. The school consisted of 2 sisters and 47 students in a 2-room schoolhouse, behind Saint Andrew Church on Sycamore Street.
In 1953, a new brick building with four classrooms, a library and offices was erected across from the church. An additional wing, with four classrooms, was completed in 1957.
In 1993, Saint Andrew welcomed the largest student body in its history, 615 in the elementary school and 950 in our Religious Education Program. Students filled 6 prefabricated modular classrooms, the rectory basement and even rooms at Saint Vincent DePaul Parish in Richboro.
On January 9, 1995, current pastor, Monsignor Michael Picard, welcomed all our children to the Catholic Education Center. Between 1995 and 2000, an additional 22,000 square feet of classroom and cafeteria space was added to the 22 classrooms, 4 kindergarten rooms, Montessori classroom, computer laboratory, science laboratory, library, faculty lounge, cafeteria, gymnasium and religious education resource room.
In 1999, Saint Andrew School achieved accreditation through the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges. Considered a milestone in a school's history, accreditation involved a rigorous self-study of all aspects of Saint Andrew School.
In 2001, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary announced that they would be withdrawing their order from Saint Andrew School. The 2002-2003 year saw Mrs. Nancy Matteo as our first lay principal assisted by Mrs. Nan Lapeire, with four classes in every grade level.
In 2013, Saint Andrew School was recognized as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. This honor was achieved through high academic scores on standardized tests and from the exceptional offerings such as a fully functioning, student run television station, Spanish offered at all grade levels and a branch of the First National Bank and Trust of Newtown.
The school has continued to maintain accreditation status; however, in 2015 Saint Andrew School switched agencies from Middle States to AdvancED.
Saint Andrew School continues to be a vibrant, dynamic place to learn.